facebook| twitter|  russian| Phone Search:
  • RSS
Samsung Galaxy Note. First Look

Today, large companies, especially corporate giants like Samsung, do not surprise users with extraordinary products...

First look. Sony ST21i Tapioca Microsoft Windows Phone 7: Reasons for Failure First Look at Samsung Galaxy S3 as a 2012 Flagship
Reviews Editorials

Rambler's Top100

Review GSM-phone Siemens SX1. Can a Siemens class smartphone replace Pocket PC?

Review Siemens SX1. Summary>>

Since I am the editor of Pocket PC section on this web-site, I got interested in Siemens SX1’s possible alternative to Pocket PC. I wanted to see how it can work against the duo of Pocket PC and Mobile phone, here is what turned out.

Palm (from now on it’s PalmOne) was making researches during the development of Tungsten T, according to which only 20% of users are inputting the information into device, the other 80% are just reading it. What we got in result is an original design of the device, that features tuck away location for hand-written text entry – Graffiti, and rather small size. A smartphone is a logical mix of Pocket PC and phone’s functions. Standard Pocket PC functions were fulfilled with the following ones: e-mail, web-surfing, internet paging. It’s clear that with the addition of such applications the need of speedy information input got increased, the 20% are not the same anymore. The input methods can be divided into several ways according to the text input’s speed:

  1. Full-sized QWERTY-keyboard (text entry by 10 fingers)
  2. Finger-sized QWERTY-keyboard (two finger entry)
  3. Virtual full-sized keyboard (with two fingers), recognition of hand-writing text input Graffiti and Graffiti 2 (gesturing)
  4. The usual virtual keyboard (gesturing)
  5. Keypad (keys from 0 to 9)

The keys location on this smartphone is unique and untraditional. You have to get used to it before using it, and even relearn. Text input speed increases after some trainings, but is still worse than using a “normal” mobile phone keypad. To make a conclusion I will say the following: smartphone can not be counted as the replacement of Pocket PC + cellular phone duo (this affects Nokia 6600 less). Siemens SX1 is up state if you need to view information: surf Internet-page, read e-mail with attachments. But once you try to answer several posts on the forum, or an e-mail, not to mention the ICQ – one thing gets clear for sure: there is a certain limitation in the text input speed by digital keypads. You should understand that this device will not fully replace Pocket PC before buying it.

Review Siemens SX1. Summary>>

Eldar Murtazin (eldar@mobile-review.com)
Translated by Alexander "Lexx" Zavoloka(alexander.zavoloka@mobile-review.com)

Published —13 February 2004

Have something to add?! Write us... eldar@mobile-review.com



[ 31-07 16:21 ]Sir Jony Ive: Apple Isn't In It For The Money

[ 31-07 13:34 ]Video: Nokia Designer Interviews

[ 31-07 13:10 ]RIM To Layoff 3,000 More Employees

[ 30-07 20:59 ]Video: iPhone 5 Housing Shown Off

[ 30-07 19:12 ]Android Fortunes Decline In U.S.

[ 25-07 16:18 ]Why Apple Is Suing Samsung?

[ 25-07 15:53 ]A Few Choice Quotes About Apple ... By Samsung

[ 23-07 20:25 ]Russian iOS Hacker Calls It A Day

[ 23-07 17:40 ]Video: It's Still Not Out, But Galaxy Note 10.1 Gets An Ad

[ 19-07 19:10 ]Another Loss For Nokia: $1 Billion Down In Q2

[ 19-07 17:22 ]British Judge Orders Apple To Run Ads Saying Samsung Did Not Copy Them

[ 19-07 16:57 ]iPhone 5 To Feature Nano-SIM Cards

[ 18-07 14:20 ]What The iPad Could Have Looked Like ...

[ 18-07 13:25 ]App Store Hack Is Still Going Strong Despite Apple's Best Efforts

[ 13-07 12:34 ]Infographic: The (Hypothetical) Sale Of RIM

[ 13-07 11:10 ]Video: iPhone Hacker Makes In-App Purchases Free

[ 12-07 19:50 ]iPhone 5 Images Leak Again

[ 12-07 17:51 ]Android Takes 50%+ Of U.S. And Europe

[ 11-07 16:02 ]Apple Involved In 60% Of Patent Suits

[ 11-07 13:14 ]Video: Kindle Fire Gets A Jelly Bean


Register | Lost password?



© Mobile-review.com, 2002-2012. All rights reserved.